Wawasan Open University Students Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wawasan Open University Students Board

WOU Students Discussion Board

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Sticky Download - Bibliographic Management Software -Papyrus

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
cpl

cpl

Number of posts : 14
Intake : July 2007
Degree Taken : Bachelor of Business in Banking & Finance (Hons)
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Sticky Download - Bibliographic Management Software -Papyrus Empty
PostSubject: Sticky Download - Bibliographic Management Software -Papyrus   Sticky Download - Bibliographic Management Software -Papyrus EmptyThu Jul 12, 2007 7:10 pm

Have you downloaded the Appendix III:Citation Guide? You will notice at the end of Part 7 v. a free bibliograpgic management software by the name of Papyrus was suggested. You may have to be very careful about where you place the downloaded file. After launching it, you may not be able to remove it from your computer for life!

I downloaded it and had wrongly placed it on my desktop. Somewhere along the line, I must have done something wrong while installing it, I was not able to remove it. It is Dos based and there is no uninstalling option at all. You may want to think twice before downloading it.

If any of you IT experts are able to help me get rid of it from my desktop, I'll buy you a lunch. Meanwhile the file sticks firmly like a piece of plaster on my desktop which looks really ugly.
Back to top Go down
lck1_pg

lck1_pg

Number of posts : 61
Intake : January, 2007
Degree Taken : Bachelor of Technology in Computing and Intelligent Systems (Hons)
Registration date : 2007-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Sticky Download - Bibliographic Management Software -Papyrus   Sticky Download - Bibliographic Management Software -Papyrus EmptyThu Jul 12, 2007 10:43 pm

even though re-format the PC also can't help?
Back to top Go down
cpl

cpl

PostSubject: Re: Sticky Download - Bibliographic Management Software -Papyrus   Sticky Download - Bibliographic Management Software -Papyrus EmptyFri Jul 13, 2007 12:08 pm

Reformatting the PC sure will help, but it's the last option, and it's just too expensive to do that. Mine is the Microsoft XP. The OS has been updated itself for many things since its launch about five/six years ago. I've sent 2 emails to Papyrus, and they kept ignoring me. Understandably so as they know it's a very sticky issue that their software can mess up. Why come up with a DOS program that the user can't uninstal easily? More so it's for academic purposes.

Dell Service tried a few times yesterday to help me remove it, but it was not successful. They said they'll take it up with the Papyrus company. Anyway, I'm not very optimistic about it.
Back to top Go down
lck1_pg

lck1_pg

Degree Taken : Bachelor of Technology in Computing and Intelligent Systems (Hons)

PostSubject: Re: Sticky Download - Bibliographic Management Software -Papyrus   Sticky Download - Bibliographic Management Software -Papyrus EmptyFri Jul 13, 2007 12:19 pm

Thanks for sharing this with us, at least we aware this problem.

P/s: I pm you for detail, maybe I can help you to look into it.
Back to top Go down
cpl

cpl

PostSubject: Re: Sticky Download - Bibliographic Management Software -Papyrus   Sticky Download - Bibliographic Management Software -Papyrus EmptyMon Jul 16, 2007 12:57 pm

Today is the seventh day I downloaded the Papyrus file, and only today it allowed me to delete it from the desktop. Looks like the plaster sticks stubbornly for exactly seven days. Those of you who want to download it might want to take note. Smile
Back to top Go down
lck1_pg

lck1_pg

PostSubject: Re: Sticky Download - Bibliographic Management Software -Papyrus   Sticky Download - Bibliographic Management Software -Papyrus EmptyTue Jul 17, 2007 9:23 am

Hi CPL,
Glad to hear from you that your problem had been solved. Anyway, you can visit the below link to see the comparison of the Bibliographic management software, some are free ware:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_reference_management_software
Back to top Go down
cpl

cpl

PostSubject: Re: Sticky Download - Bibliographic Management Software -Papyrus   Sticky Download - Bibliographic Management Software -Papyrus EmptyTue Jul 17, 2007 6:27 pm

Thank you. Will try it out. Other coursemates may want to take note.
Back to top Go down
ckb1_pg

ckb1_pg

Number of posts : 24
Intake : Jan 2007
Degree Taken : Business in Accounting
Registration date : 2007-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Sticky Download - Bibliographic Management Software -Papyrus   Sticky Download - Bibliographic Management Software -Papyrus EmptyFri Jul 27, 2007 12:29 pm

Hi CPL,

For your information: we do not have part 7 in our previous semester's course materials.

Can you elaborate on the part where this Reference Management Software comes in? What is it about?
Back to top Go down
cpl

cpl

PostSubject: Re: Sticky Download - Bibliographic Management Software -Papyrus   Sticky Download - Bibliographic Management Software -Papyrus EmptyFri Jul 27, 2007 11:24 pm

Go to WOU website main page, point your cursor on the WOU Student Handbook; when a box appears, point to Citation Guide; click to download the pdf file, then go to the last page, scroll down to the bottom of the paragraph, and you'll see it: Section 7 part v.

Your SR-71 has been flying so fast it almost goes off at the edge. That's why you missed it.

CPL_KL
Back to top Go down
ckb1_pg

ckb1_pg

PostSubject: Re: Sticky Download - Bibliographic Management Software -Papyrus   Sticky Download - Bibliographic Management Software -Papyrus EmptySat Jul 28, 2007 12:57 pm

Gee ... I did not know it's called SR-71. Just know by the unofficial name of "Blackbird" ... anyways for your information it goes MACH 3 ... no wonder I missed that part.

Sorry I misinterpreted your post for course materials.

Thanks for your information.

The said kind of software will prove to be usefull to me in the future TMAs. But not Papyrus of course.

ps. To remove it effectively you need to edit the windows registry.
Back to top Go down
ckb1_pg

ckb1_pg

PostSubject: Re: Sticky Download - Bibliographic Management Software -Papyrus   Sticky Download - Bibliographic Management Software -Papyrus EmptyMon Jul 30, 2007 11:41 am

hi guys ... I tried the Aigaion ... with a web-based installation ... getting no where ...

any of you tried any?
Back to top Go down
ckb1_pg

ckb1_pg

PostSubject: Re: Sticky Download - Bibliographic Management Software -Papyrus   Sticky Download - Bibliographic Management Software -Papyrus EmptyMon Jul 30, 2007 12:56 pm

ok guys ...

if you use Firefox, Zotero would be fine ...

http://www.zotero.org/

it supports Chicago citing style.

Have fun.
Back to top Go down

Sticky Download - Bibliographic Management Software -Papyrus
Page 1 of 1